Friday, August 19, 2011

My First Day on top of the Mountain.


Hello Everyone!
Today is my first day at Covenant College. It's generally agreed that it is wise to visit the campus before signing up and paying lots of money. This is not how I did it. I discovered the college in World, and asked them to send information. they did, and called me as well. Shortly thereafter we got serious about things, I applied and they accepted me.

Thursday morning at 7 am Mom and I rolled out of the driveway. Ok, so it was closer to 7:30, but we made up the time on the highway. We got to the airport in good time, only to discover that Mom, bless her heart, forgot her driver's licence at home. Good news was she has an expired one on her, as well as enough other info that they let her on the plane. We called Dad, who found it, and shipped it down. After a short wait in the terminal, we boarded the plane. The main body of the plane was smaller than a train car, and more cramped. Fortunately, there were no chickens, and we didn't have to jump out of it with only an inflatable raft for protection. Unfortunately, my pen decided to leak in the changing pressure, so I had to get rid of it.

About an hour and a half later we landed in Ohio, and took a 40 minute flight out to Tennessee. So far, everything went pretty much as expected. When Mom went to rent a car, however, her lack of a valid driver's licence prevented her. We discovered that there was a shuttle that would drive us to Chattanooga. From there we took a taxi back to our motel, and southern hospitality being what it is, they offered to drive us up to the college. So we got there nice and early and I got everything sorted out in good time. Every student gets a student ID called a scotscard. I got mine fairly early in the day, when the people were just begging for something to do. A few hour later, there was a long line of students finally getting around to it. Heh heh.

Dad found mom's licence, and shipped it down, when it arrived, mom caught a ride back to the hotel, and then went to the airport to rent a car. She came back around 6 with the stuff we had decided not to ship down. The rest will arrive on Monday.

I got everything sorted out with the work study people and the health lady. She filled my arm with a virus, or something very like it. On Monday, I'll go back and she'll measure how bad it looks.

When they gave us our name cards, I noticed that I had a large nine scrawled across the back. There's a course that everyong takes as a Freshman, called the Core: The Christian Mind. It's a small group of likeminded students. Sort of. My group is about twelve guys and two girls, and a good percentage of the guys are studying Computer Science. The girl is taking Biology, I if you don't know already, am taking Pre-Nursing. But I think I'm going to really like it. For a bunch of guys, they seem really interesting. :-) I've always been the most comfortable around geeks.

The grounds are really lovely, and the buildings are fascinating. Because I'm on the top of a mountain, I have a really beautiful view.

2 comments:

  1. I visited Covenant when I was looking at colleges. :) it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good story telling (you are a Holleran and a Green--it's in your blood!)

    Oh, keep the news coming, will you? We are eager for more; watch the comma-splices!!!

    Tee hee.

    ReplyDelete