Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Beginning of Classes

Classes have started up at Covenant with a vengeance! I shouldn't have been surprised, but how quickly we are thrown into the subjects was a bit of a shock. Not a bad shock, mark you, but a spark of eternal fire. It is a reminder of the great heritage of thought I get to embrace. Most of my classes are windows into historical times and thoughts. It is incredible fun to be a part of the ongoing dialogue, even in my own little way. Right now, it feels a bit like eves-dropping. Maybe one day I'll stand up from the peanut gallery and give my two cents worth.

From the classes I'm particularly interested in, we will start with Plato (Intro to Philosophy), Huck Finn, and Mark Twain (American Lit 1865-1965) and Hamlet (Cultural Heritage of the West 2). Taking Intro to Phi after CHoW 1 will be really exciting. I confidently expect CHoW 1 to give me a decent frame of reference for Intro to Phi.

We had our first Chapel of the semester today. Dr. Ward spoke on Luke 8: 26-39. One of the points he brought out for us students coming into a new semester is Jesus' ability to rescue us from the dragons (a reference to The Hobbit) that we will face in the coming year. Christiana Fitzpatrick informed us that the Chaplin search has started. Our former Chaplin, Aaron Messner, will be preaching his first sermon this Sunday at his church in Atlanta.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Dr. Ward. I miss his chapel talks.

    You're going to love CHOW 2. And American Lit. 1865-1965 changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a fantastic time in CHOW 1, and I expect CHOW 2 to be no different. I am having mixed feelings about Am Lit. I'm sure I will start to enjoy it more, but the stuff we will read doesn't particularly interest me. I prefer the Medieval and Renaissance, and America doesn't have much to offer to that time period.

    ReplyDelete